MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Restaurant Report 98: Irish pub & seafood joint fail, southern cuisine strikes gold

Portland (WGME) - - BrianBoru is Portland's own taste of Ireland. Self-proclaimed as a "place to meetold friends and make new ones." In September, the Irish pub left a bad tastewith one health inspector. Therestaurant failed after the inspector saw an employee "return to food prepafter smoking and didn't wash hands," plus the potato cutter had "moldy fooddebris." The inspector also noted "outeropenings are not protected from the entry of insects or rodents," specificallythe inspector noted seeing "several flies present in kitchen."You can'tmiss the colorful 3 Buoys Seafood Shanty and Grill sitting on the corner ofCumberland and Washington Avenues. Onecustomer gave it five stars on Yelp, saying "food was terrific." The restaurantdidn't fare well on an August inspection. They failed after the inspector reported finding "food employees arehandling ready to eat food with bare hands" a violation staff had madebefore. The inspector also found a "flystrip with several dead flies stuck to it hanging above food contact surface"the inspector says this issue was corrected on the spot. Our research shows this is the second time 3Buoys has failed an inspection in the last year. When we stopped in the owner wasn'tavailable, no response from the email we sent either. Two weeks later 3 Buoys easily passed afollow up inspection.

Specializingin southern cuisine, don't let the name "Hot Suppa" fool you.

"It'san expression of good things," said owner Alec Sabina.

Goodthings that come at breakfast, lunch, suppa and when an inspector stops by theCongress Street hot spot.

"Youdon't have to have the fanciest kitchen to have a clean kitchen," said Sabina.

Sabinasays keeping a check-list and scheduled cleaning helps to keep it that way. A recipe for success, last month a healthinspector gave Hot Suppa a perfect score on their inspection, making them thisweek's gold plate award winner.

"Aclean restaurant is a safe restaurant," said Sabina.


Trending