MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Separate fires leave Denmark woman without home, job

A pair of freak incidents has left a Denmark grandmother without a home or job. (WGME)

DENMARK (WGME) -- A pair of freak incidents has left a Denmark grandmother without a home or job.

A house fire displaced the family of five, as they share a single hotel room in Windham. A day after, the restaurant she worked at went up in flames.

You can see the damage to the Mexican restaurant in Raymond, a hole in the second floor where the fire spread from the kitchen, but what you can't see is the damage done to Misty Romero, who is out of a job while it’s being repaired.

Romero, her children and grandchildren are sharing a room at the Microtel in Windham.

The home she had been renting to buy for the last year was destroyed Tuesday morning.

She says she has enough money to make it until Sunday, before she can figure out where to move next.

A choice made much harder by the fact that her place of employment was destroyed a day later.

Romero just became a grandmother two weeks ago, and as she sat in a far from private hotel lobby, she says the future she saw in Denmark is now up in smoke.

"It was the foundation of my family at that point in time,” Romero said. “It was where we were going to make all of our memories, we were going to have all the Christmases all the Easter egg hunts, and now I don't even have a front yard."

A GoFundMe has been started for Romero and her family.

Trending