Ford builds its 10 millionth Mustang
(KVAL) - It’s been 54 years since the first Ford Mustang rolled off the original assembly line in Dearborn, Michigan. And today marks the creation of the 10 millionth Mustang.
Though the Mustang is now built at the Flat Rock Assembly plant, which is 20 miles away from Dearborn, the automaker is commemorating the event by building a Wimbledon White GT V8 convertible, which is the same color and model of the very first Mustang produced in 1964.
“Mustang is the heart and soul of this company,” said Jim Farley, president of global markets, Ford Motor Company, in a press release. “I bought my first car—a black ’66 Mustang Coupe—at an engine re-manufacturing shop where I worked in California. I then thought it would be a good idea to drive it back to Michigan to my family’s vacation home . . . without a driver’s license at age 14. Mustang stirs that kind of passion more than a half-century after its introduction – for millions of people around the world.”
The Mustang is now in its sixth generation, and new for 2019, Ford is introducing a Bullitt special edition equipped with an exclusive 480-horsepower 5.0-liter V-8 engine.
Though Ford has recently said it’s moving away from passenger cars over the next four years, it has also unequivocally stated the automaker isn't ditching the Mustang.
Smart move since, according to IHS Markit, Mustang has been the best-selling sports car during the last 50 years.
Timeline of Mustang Development
- 1965 Shelby GT350 introduced; Mustang 2+2 with full fastback roof debuts
- 1968 Mustang 390 GT stars with Steve McQueen in “Bullitt”, 428 Cobra Jet engine debuts
- 1969 High-performance Boss 302 and Boss 429 introduced
- 1974 Mustang II debuts
- 1979 Euro-styled “Fox” platform Mustang debuts – without traditional styling
- 1982 Mustang GT returns after 12-year absence
- 1984 Mustang SVO debuts
- 1993 Limited production SVT Mustang Cobra debuts
- 1996 4.6-liter Modular V8 replaces 5.0-liter engine in GT and SVT Cobras
- 2000 Third SVT Mustang Cobra R
- 2003 Mustang Mach 1 model returns with ram-air “Shaker” hood scoop
- 2011 All-new 412-horsepower 5.0-liter Coyote V8 Mustang GT debuts
- 2012 First Boss 302 since 1971 returns with 440 horsepower V8
- 2015 All-new 6th generation Mustang, first with independent rear suspension
- 2016 Shelby350/GT350R with flat-plane crank 5.2-liter V8
- 2018 Gen. 3 5.0-liter Coyote engine and new Performance Package I and II
- 2019 Limited-edition Bullitt Mustang capable of 163 mph