BRIDGTON (WGME) -- Crews were on the scene of a two alarm fire in Bridgton Sunday morning for several hours.
When firefighters got to the house fire on Kansas Road they were facing frigid temperatures. Deputy Chief Paul Field said, "It was like 20 below when we got here this morning."
Field said the fire started in the chimney and quickly spread to the attic. He said every piece of equipment was freezing making it near impossible to put the fire out.
"Anything that uses water, it freezes, our valves, our pumps, our hose lines, we've got ice on the road, it's just on ice," said Field.
Field said the house was a total loss but the two people inside were able to make it out safely before the fire demolished the structure. He said the family was getting assistance through the Red Cross.