SEDGWICK (BDN) -- A Deer Isle man accused of attacking a Sedgwick family of four in their driveway last summer during an outburst of road rage was indicted Thursday on a charge of felony aggravated assault.
Richard W. Bubar Jr., 43, was indicted Thursday by a Hancock County grand jury on four charges of assault, and one count each of driving to endanger and violating conditions of release, all of which are misdemeanors
Aggravated assault is Class B offense, which carries a potential penalty of up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $20,000.
The family, which lives on Graytown Road, suffered minor injuries July 29 after one of them approached Bubar, who was driving a pickup truck near their house, to ask his him stop squealing his tires in the roadway, state police said at the time.
The family — a couple and their two children — did not know Bubar prior to the incident. After he left the scene, police had difficulty finding him because his newly registered black pickup truck was not yet on record with the Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles, state police have said.
Police traced the truck to Bubar a few days later after they went to area town offices to find out if the vehicle had been registered nearby.
During Bubar’s subsequent court appearance, a prosecutor told a judge that the Deer Isle man had “clear anger issues.” Bubar told the judge that he has a substance use disorder.
Bubar’s criminal history includes convictions for several misdemeanors between 1997 and 2005 in Brewer, Ellsworth, Lewiston and Orono, including five counts of assault, two counts each of criminal mischief, disorderly conduct and violating conditions of release, plus a single count of operating under the influence.